Apr 21, 2009

My Chinese Left-Overs Can Beat-Up Your Chinese Left-Overs! ( Shrimp-Fried Rice)


I've said it before,
I'll say it again...
I love Chinese food!
I will learn to re-create my favorite Asian dishes at home!
So far, I've gotten Shrimp Lo-Mein & Bourbon Chicken & Spring Rolls perfected!

Now... for another one of my favorites!
Shrimp fried rice!!
mmm mmm mmm!

Again, I gotta say...
Sesame oil is the key to authentic Chinese food flavor.
But please PLEASE remember...
a tiny bit goes a looong way!
it's really easy to over-do the sesame oil.

Always make your rice the day before you plan on making fried rice.
you want cold rice!
If it is not cold enough, you'll have a sticky mess.
It'll still taste good... but look and feel yucky.
Dana's Shrimp Fried Rice
  • 3/4-1 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten (or more eggs if you like)
  • 5 drops soy sauce
  • 5 drops sesame oil
  • 8 ounces cooked shrimp, pork or chicken, chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (very small)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1/2 cup pea pods, chopped
  • 1 small can sliced water chestnuts
  • 1 small can baby corn, chopped
  • 5 cups cold cooked rice, grains separated (cook it the night before)
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups bean sprouts
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce (add more if you like)
  • 6 drops sesame oil

  1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add chopped onions and stir-fry until browned, 8-10 minutes; remove from wok.
  2. Allow wok to cool slightly.
  3. Wisk eggs with 5 drops of soy and 5 drops of sesame oil; set aside.
  4. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to wok, swirling to coat surfaces; add egg mixture; working quickly, swirl egg until egg sets against wok; when egg puffs, flip egg and cook other side briefly; remove from wok, and chop into small pieces.
  5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok; add selected meat to wok, along with carrots, peas, pea pods, water chestnuts, corn, and cooked onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
  6. Add rice, green onions, and bean sprouts, tossing to mix well; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
  7. Add 4 tbsp of soy sauce, 6 drops sesame oil, and chopped egg to rice mixture and fold in; stir-fry for 1 minute more; serve.
  8. Set out additional soy sauce on the table, if desired.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! A new one for my list! I just mastered pad thai...love Chinese and Thai food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I love all your recipes! Thanks so much for sharing. I would like to know how many servings are in each of your recipes. Thank you.
    Diane Gill
    Wilmington, NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,
    I will start posting that!
    this one is for 4 good-sized servings.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...