Aug 23, 2012

Perfect Pot Roast (Crock Pot and Oven Method)

Pot Roast....

It is definitely at the top of my "Comfort Foods" list!

  • Cooking a good pot roast usually takes quite a bit of time & work to get it right.
    Then you add the stress & worry of wondering if it will be tough or dry or seasoned correctly, a lot of people just wait until they can go to Grandma's house for Sunday Dinner to enjoy this wonderful meal.

    Today I'm gonna share my secrets to making a Perfect Pot Roast every darn time!
    I'm going to include the instructions for using a crock-pot and oven, it's your choice!


    Here we go!

    Dana's Perfect Pot Roast
    1 (4 -5 lb) beef roast, (Whatever cut is your favorite, or on sale)
  • 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix, dry
  • 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix
  • 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry
  • 1 cup water


Grab your Crock Pot.
Preheat your Oven to 300 degrees f.
And grab a large roasting pan.

1.) Plop your Roast into your Crock-Pot or Roasting Pan.
2.) Mix together all the dry seasoning packets and rub the mixture all over the roast.
3.) Add your water around the roast (NOT on the meat or you'll rinse off seasonings!)
          Crock Pot = add 1/2 cup water 
          Oven = add enough water to submerge the bottom 1/3 of your roast.
4.) Add Your Veggies - (I like to use Baby potatoes, baby carrots, whole mushrooms, 
                                                      Onions and Garlic)
     Don't forget to season your veggies too! salt and pepper is fine, 
       but I often just use one more package of Italian dressing mix sprinkled on them.
         Crock Pot - toss veggie into the crock pot on top of and around your roast. 
         Oven - Wait until your roast cooks for an hour to add veggies, 
                       unless you are using big potatoes and big carrots, 
                       to avoid over-cooking them and ending up with mushy veggies!
              After one hour of your roast cooking, add the veggies arranging and 
              tucking them around all sides of the roast.
5.) Cook Your Pot-Roast!
          Crock Pot - 6-7 hours on low, Or, 2 hours on High then 3 hours on Low 
                (Crock Pot cooking times vary.  My HUGE crock pot cooks slower, so I just leave it on
                     High for about 5 hours and it's perfect.)
             Oven - Cover (foil is fine!) and cook for 3-4 hours at 300 degrees f.
6.) Test the veggies by poking a bigger potato or carrot with a fork...  
          if they are tender, you are ready to eat!
7.) Serve with the yummy juices from your crock pot or pan, 
           (I often thicken it with some flour to make a gravy instead of juice, 
               it's totally up to you!)
8.) Enjoy!

Subscribe via e-mail.
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner
Subscribe in a reader
Pin It!


  1. I usually just dump onion soup mix and a can of cream of something on top of mine and it wasn't quite hitting the spot. Looking forward to trying this on Sunday!

  2. DANG!! this looks fantastic thank you for sharing this great recipe! Nice to meet ya girly!!! You have a great blog here keep it up!!

  3. Sounds delicious...I am going to try this tomorrow!

  4. This looks great we are having this tonight roast and potatoes/carrots. I haven't ever used any kind of mix like this but I try it next time and see what it taste like.

  5. im a army veteran from mississippi who was wounded in not your usual respondent but im from the south and i love to cook. im married to a lady from an alaskan tribe and she is loving my southern cooking but your roast is like my mommas whom ive havent seen in 6 years...that being said thsnk you for this treat ive been dying for some of her food. your the best and my son loves it as well.

  6. thanks for this. i was looking for a way to cook pot roast in the oven since i dont have a crock-pot. i tweaked it a little since i bought some beef stew mixes. THANKS

  7. A friend gave me this recipe years ago, and we absolute love it! Have you tried it with pork roast instead of beef? It's equally amazing!

  8. Has anyone tried adding a pack of dry onion soup to the other packets?

  9. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! french toast recipes

  10. We do 1 easier. We use a Electric Pressure Cooker. We put a minimal amount of water in the bottom, put in a Pork Roast, Ad Onion and Baby Rays Hickory & Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (Don't be afraid to pour it on thick!!!!) then set it to pressure for at LEAST an hour (I prefer 1 1/2 hours). OMG you don't have to use anything but a fork!!!!We served this to some pretty picky guest one day for our garden party. Lets just say there were NO left overs!!!!

  11. What a blog post!! Very informative and also easy to understand. Looking for more such comments!! Do you have a facebook? I recommend ed it on digg. The only thing that it’s missing is a bit of new design. Ann Parmley

  12. hello, I was cooking this in the crock pot (thanks for the recipe) but my family is ready to eat and it's not done. Can I finish cooking it in oven to speed up time?

  13. I moved here to the Denver area about a year ago, and am still (!!!) unpacking.I just found my crock pot, and have been dieing for pot roast. Going to give this a try this weekend. Sounds great!!!

  14. I just made this tonight and delicious!! Even my picky 7 y/o devoured this!! I got a new way of making pot roast from now on :)

  15. Pengen yang lebih seru ...
    Ayo kunjungi
    Buktikan sendiri ..

    Real Play = Real Money

    - Bonus Promo Red Card pertandingan manapun .
    - Bonus Mixparlay .
    - Bonus Tangkasnet setiap hari .
    - New Produk Sabung Ayam ( minimal bet sangat ringan ) .
    - Referal 5 + 1 % ( seumur hidup ) .
    - Cash Back up to 10 % .
    - Bonus Royalty Rewards setiap bulan .

    untuk Informasi lebih jelasnya silahkan hubungi CS kami :
    - YM :
    - EMAIL :
    - WHATSAPP : +63 905 213 7234
    - WECHAT : asianbet_77
    - SMS CENTER : +63 905 209 8162
    - PIN BB : 2B4BB06A / 28339A41

    Salam Admin ,

  16. I'm making this for my hubby's 65th birthday. It smells divine. What an easy recipe for the crock pot, and I'm sure it's going to be delicious!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...