Nov 14, 2010

The Cowtown Diner , Ft Worth Tx

I made a trip to Fort Worth last week-end.
And, as usual, I set out to find local comfort food.
I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Cowtown Diner.



I love diners.
I like how they look.
I like how they feel.
I like how they are "local".
And, of course, Diners are the perfect place to find comfort food!

When you walk into the Cowtown diner, you realize this ain't your normal diner!
The decor is upscale yet comfortable from the cow-hide lampshades to the wooden menus, it's unique.

As I always do when I'm somewhere new, I asked what their "specialty" was.
Our waitress told us they were known for their Bacon Wrapped, Deep-Fried, Deviled Eggs, and their meat-loaf was award-winning...
So, thats exactly what I ordered.


First came the appetizer...
Fried deviled eggs? hmmm

We love deviled eggs...
And, everything is better with bacon right?
I was a little worried,
Until THIS showed up at the table!


They were perfectly golden brown and served on a bed of tangy slaw.
When I cut into it I was surprised at how tender it was, but it held together nicely, I figured it would be a mushy mess, but I was wrong!

The chipotle dipping sauce was a perfect accompaniment to the slightly tangy egg filling, and the saltyness of the bacon.
The breading was light and crisp, just enough to hold the bundle of comfort together.
I would have been happy eating only these for my meal they were so good!

But I was waiting for my "award-winning" meatloaf.

While I waited, I got to enjoy a true wedge salad.
It was refreshing, because most of the wedge salads I've ordered in the past several years, did not even come close to resembling the simple wedge salad of yesteryear.

Cowtown does top their Classic Wedge salad w/ a few pickled red onions and, I gotta tell ya...  They were wonderful!

Then my meatloaf came.

The first thing I noticed was the grill marks on the thick slab of meaty-goodness.
I love that they grill and sear off the slice of meatloaf!
I've never thought of doing that!
It made a lovely crust on the outside while protecting the tender juicy inside.
Great Idea that I WILL be trying in MY kitchen!

This is not your mothers meatloaf, there are no fillers, I noticed no typical bell peppers or cracker  crumbs etc...
This meatloaf is all about the meat.
It's a perfect fine grind of veal, pork and beef.
It was seasoned just right and tender while holding onto that stick-to-your-ribs quality that meatloaf should have!
The brown gravy was light and seasoned perfectly.

I was pleasantly surprised by the sides too!
The buttermilk mashed potatoes were perfect and the classic peas-n-carrots were fresh and cooked tender-crisp.

All in all, I loved the Cowtown Diner!
If your ever in Ft Worth, it's worth the trip into downtown to find great Comfort food!

Here is their web site.
Cowtown Diner


Find Your Comfort....
Dana.














Subscribe via e-mail.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Subscribe in a reader
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Oh. My. WORD. I am in awe of those deviled eggs. I think I had a heart attack just looking at the picture!! lol It all looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you, both my husband and I said "ewww" at the idea of bacon-wrapped deep-fried deviled eggs. Then we looked at the picture and thought they looked delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious food, I love the place, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try this when I visit my son in Fort Worth in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KITCHEN MANAGER SHOULD BE FIRED
    Started working downtown Fort Worth around 6 months ago. One of the first places I tried for lunch was COWTOWN DINER. I ordered the chix breast, it was abysmal, a dried rubber biscuit that you could have bounced off the floor. The sides were just as unforgettable. To add insult to injury it took 1.5 hrs to get out of the place because service was so bad. You could hear every table complaining to their waitperson. I vowed to myself never to subject myself to this place again. Believe me, I told everyone I work with how terrible it was.

    Today was a beautiful day and they have a nice patio, so I decided to give them another chance. I decided to play it safe, so I ordered a chix sandwhich, I figured, how can you mess up a chix sandwhich? Well let me tell you, COWTOWN DINER can mess up a chix sandwhich. It came out with cold fries that looked like they came from the bottom of the bag; the onion was soggy and rubbery, probably from the day before. There was a midiscal amount of crushed up avocado. When you say a sandwhich comes with avocado, it better have some avocado. I sent it back for more avocado, a paper thin half moon slice of avocado was added. The PROCESSED AMERICAN CHEESE square was so cold that I was able to pick the whole thing up with my fingers. It felt like it had just come out of the freezer, not even close to being melted. Should have been a quality provolone for a $10 sandwhich.

    The only bright spot was the waiter. He was courteous and attentive. I told him he needs to find another job with a restaurant that will be around in a year. I heard it was just recently purchased by Bob's Chop House. SHAME ON YOU BOB's, if you let food like this be served at one of your establishments, I want nothing to do with your steaks.

    I noticed that there were no downtown workers eating there, all the patrons appeared to be out of Towner’s who don't know any better. Take it from me, stay away from this place. You have been warned.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...