That yummy Spanish dish with it's classic saffron-yellow rice.
Brightly colored veggies, and combination of seafood and meats.
But have you read a recipe for paella?
Or seen it made on a cooking show?
It looks crazy complicated and easy to mess up!
All that stirring, all the ingredients, all the perfect timing... UGH!
I found this wonderful Portuguese Paella recipe.
I don't know if it's totally authentic paella, but I do know it's way BETTER than any Paella I've ever had in any restaurant.
Don't tell anybody....
But you actually BAKE this in your oven!
I dare you to try it and not say it's the best and easiest paella you've ever had.
I double-dog dare you!
Super Easy Paella
- 6 skinless chicken thighs or 5 boneless skinless breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 link Portuguese chourico, or 2 links chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice or other medium grain rice
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 1 cup asparagus, cut diagonally
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large oven proof nonstick skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook over med-high heat for 3 min. on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
- Add sausage and cook until lightly browned;.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add rice, tomato, paprika, saffron and garlic; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Add broth and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; bring to a hard boil.
- Wrap handle of pan with foil, cover pan;.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, asparagus, and peas.
- Cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and no longer translucent, and the rice is tender.
I love Rosemary.. I love to grow it, I love to smell it, I love to look at it, but when I eat it... My stomach loves to toss it back up. I left it out and it was fine.
regular smoked sausage can be used... but do try to find the sausages called for... wow!
You cannot make Paella without saffron. Yes, it's expensive, yes it's such a little bit you won't think it matters.... but it does!
Subscribe in a reader