And Ding DING DING!!!
I think we have a WINNER!!!
These may possibly be the BEST cookie I have ever had!!
The picture says it all...
Rich, Decadent, Soft chocolate cookie.
Topped with a cherry and smooth-as-silk frosting.
Whats not to love??
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies!!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, reserve juice
- 1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda, blending well; set aside.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter or margarine and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
2. With hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet.
Press down center of dough with thumb.
3. Drain Maraschino cherries well, reserving juice.
Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie.
4. In small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk;
heat over low heat until chocolate is melted.
Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the reserved cherry juice.
Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the topping over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
If frosting seems too thick, thin with a little more cherry juice.
**I was worried that I read my original recipe wrong when it told me to put the frosting on BEFORE baking. I thought it would melt and run all over. But I did as it said and it is amazing! this super-silky chocolate frosting does not melt or run anywhere! it seals in the cherry beautifully!**
5. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, or until done.
Remove to wire rack to cool.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies.
Subscribe via e-mail.
Subscribe in a reader