Two dishes that we love involving cornbread are corn dogs and good ole southern cornbread dressing.
So we asked ourselves... Why not combine the two?
That's just what we did.
It turned out better than I could have hoped!!
In 2 hours I made 2 pans because everyone wanted seconds and thirds!
This casserole is savory yet slightly sweet.
It is cheesy and meaty.
In one word... Perfect!
Corn Dog Dressing Bake
- 1 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1 large onion, chopped finely OR 1 heaping cup of sliced green onion (my favorite!)
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pounds (2 packages) Hot Dogs.
- two 8.5 oz. packages Corn Bread Mix (I love Jiffy Brand!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, combine celery, onions & butter. Saute for 5 minutes. Pour into a large bowl.
- cut the hot dogs into fourths lengthwise. Then cut each hot dog strip into 4 pieces.
- pour hot dog pieces into the same skillet you used for the celery/onion mixture, saute hot dog pieces for 5 min or until lightly browned.
- Add the browned hot dog pieces into the celery/onion mixture bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine; eggs, milk, sugar, sage, & pepper.
- add 1/2 of the hot dog /celery mixture & 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese, into the milk mixture. Stir in the corn bread mix.
- Spread the mixture into a 13x9 backing dish.
- Top with the remaining half of the hot dog/celery mix. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for approx 35 min, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Some of my kids like this with mustard or ketchup.
Subscribe via e-mail. Subscribe in a reader