I love Lemon
The Man-of-My-Dreams loves lemon.
My many children love lemon.
Thus, I make things with lemon!
We love lemon cake.
We love lemon pie.
We love lemon!
When I found this recipe for Lemon Cake-Pie in my Grandmothers recipe box,
I was intrigued.
Is it a cake?
Is it a pie?
well... It's BOTH!
This super-easy pie bakes into a light (almost angel-food-like) cake on top of a creamy custardy crust-full-of-yummy-ness!
You wont regret it!
Dana's Lemon Cake Pie
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crusts, I use Marie Callender's frozen. No need to defrost. No need to prebake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, (I usually add more)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, (please use fresh)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups milk, I use 2%
- Put rack on lowest position in oven.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar.
- Stir in flour, salt, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with milk until well blended, stir into lemon mixture.
- In another medium sized bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold distinct but moist peaks. Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture. (Don't mix it too much.).
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- I always end up with more filling than will fit in the pie crust so I put it in a couple ceramic ramekins and cook it along with the pie.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven until the top is browned and the center jiggles only slightly when pan is gently shaken (45-55 minutes). If the crust begins to brown excessively, drape it with foil.
- Let cool before serving. But it's good warm too!
Subscribe via e-mail.
Subscribe in a reader