Jun 9, 2011

Lemon Cake-Pie

I love Lemon 
The Man-of-My-Dreams loves lemon.
My many children love lemon.
Thus, I make things with lemon!

We love lemon cake.
We love lemon pie.
We love lemon!

When I found this recipe for Lemon Cake-Pie in my Grandmothers recipe box,
I was intrigued. 


Is it a cake?
Is it a pie?

well... It's BOTH!
This super-easy pie bakes into a light (almost angel-food-like) cake on top of a creamy custardy crust-full-of-yummy-ness! 



Try it!
You wont regret it!


Dana's Lemon Cake Pie

Ingredients
    • 1 9-inch deep dish pie crusts, I use Marie Callender's frozen. No need to defrost. No need to prebake
    • 1 1/2 cups sugar
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, (I usually add more)
    • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, (please use fresh)
    • 3 eggs, separated
    • 1 1/4 cups milk, I use 2%
Directions
  1. Put rack on lowest position in oven.
  2. Preheat oven to 375.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar.
  4. Stir in flour, salt, lemon peel and lemon juice.
  5. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with milk until well blended, stir into lemon mixture.
  6. In another medium sized bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold distinct but moist peaks. Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture. (Don't mix it too much.).
  7. Pour filling into pie crust.
  8. I always end up with more filling than will fit in the pie crust so I put it in a couple ceramic ramekins and cook it along with the pie.
  9. Bake on the lowest rack of the oven until the top is browned and the center jiggles only slightly when pan is gently shaken (45-55 minutes). If the crust begins to brown excessively, drape it with foil.
  10. Let cool before serving. But it's good warm too!




Subscribe via e-mail.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Subscribe in a reader
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Yum! Love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this picture posted today on Pinterest. It came at the perfect time for me as 1) I really would like a homemade dessert about now; 2) We love lemon; and, 3) Simple ingredients that just happen to be in my house about now. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your cake-pie today. We loved it! So quick and easy to put together too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious!!! We all loved it! Reminds me of my grandmother's lemon cake/pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this today. It was very easy to make and im very glad that you took pictures of the cake pie, because the top was very brown but so was yours. Well any ways it was a big hit I made mine in a 10" pie and its all gone. Will make two the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I like that it looks so tasty this so lovely cake i ever see here on internet.
    i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
    but most of the time what i eat are any kind of chocolates
    like milk chocolate ,French macarons, and macarons london and so on.
    well anyway that cake recipe above is interesting i wanna try that.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning to make this for an anniversary dinner with two dear old friends. Does it hold up well if made the day before? Can hardly wait to try it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! My son loves Lemon so much, he asked for a lemon birthday cake this year. I'd love for you to come link up at our recipe party - where we make the features! Thanks for sharing this, found it on Pinterest! http://uncookiecutter.com/2016/03/chocolate-lemon-cookies-link-make-7/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got this recipe from from an older friend 40 years ago. I made it all the time and actually won a 5th place ribbon at the Indiana State Fair for lemon pie. Highlight in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK..I am a Total Lemom Lover!!!...I am going to Have to make this! Now, I don't know if I will share though!!!...lol! OK..maybe a sliver 😛.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very old recipe got it from my mom who got it from her mom always a hit when ever I make it great summer desert

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a cookbook from c.1922 ("Up-to-Date Book of Recipes" by The Ladies of the Farm Bureau of Valley View Village, Ohio) that contains this wonderful recipe among others. My grandmother & mother often made Lemon Cake-Pie, and I've given it a try a few times. Great summer-time dessert: fresh and cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom used to make this when I was a child 50 yrs ago. We called it lemon sponge pie. I am not a pie crust person so I make it without the pie crust as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anyone tried it as sugar free with erythritol and stevia?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...