Oct 25, 2007

Loaded baked potato soup

Several people asked for the recipe for my "Baked Potato Soup" that I talked about in an earlier thread;
http://homesteadinghousewife.blogspot.com/2007/10/stocking-up-with-no-extra-work.html

well.....
I don't really follow a recipe,
but here is the one that gave me the inspiration...
I do not bake the potatoes first.... I dice potatoes then boil them till fork tender w/ a couple of onions thrown in for some extra flavor.
then I pretty much follow this recipe using those potatoes.
Cept... I usually use half&half instead of whole milk.
Oh... and I usually save the sour cream for a garnish in each bowl... not in the whole pot.. cause I find it tends to separate and get yucky if your not careful.
My way everyone can make it however they choose, I just let them garnish their own bowl with more bacon, cheese, sour cream, chives whatever you have on hand.

sometimes I'll throw in some diced ham.... and always LOTS of green onions.
just use whatever sounds good to you and your family!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

6 large potatoes, scrubbed
2/3 cup
butter
2/3 cup
flour
6 cups
milk
8 ounces
cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup
onions, chopped
1 cup
sour cream
10 slices
bacon, fried crisp
1/4 teaspoon
salt


Bake potatoes until tender.
I microwave them to save time, but an oven works too.
While potatoes are microwaving or during the last 10-15 minutes of baking time, melt butter in large saucepan.
Whisk in flour and continue to cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly (about 1 minute).
Add milk slowly, about 1 cup at a time. Continue to whisk frequently.
Chop warm potatoes into cubes
Once soup is warmed through and slightly thickened, add potatoes, 6 oz grated cheese and sour cream and salt.
Heat until until cheese is melted.
Stir in onion and bacon, reserving a little bacon for garnish.
Serve in individual bowls garnished with a pinch of reserved cheese and a few crumbles of bacon.

Pin It!

2 comments:

Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...